Georgy Lipskerov was born in Moscow in 1896. In 1918, during the Russian Revolution, he enlisted as a Red Army soldier and served until 1922. Following the war, Lipskerov worked as a photo reporter for Moscow newspapers between 1923 and 1931, and traveled through Pamir until 1933. In 1936, he began working for Izevstiya newspaper, traveling north for various assignments.
When World War II broke out Lipskerov photographed as a war correspondent. He received many recognitions for his war photographs including the “Defense of Stalingrad” award. In 1946, he worked for TASS news agency and in the 1950s, for the publishing house Detskaya Literatura. Lipskerov retired in 1958 and died in 1977 in Moscow.